Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Gospel According to LOST

I must admit that I have not actually ever watched an episode of LOST. However, I am a huge fan of Chris Seay so I read The Gospel According to LOST in an effort to support him. I was pleasantly surprised that his book grabbed me and spoke volumes to me even though I am not a loyal follower of the Losties.

Seay breaks the book up into character analyses. Each chapter gives a bit of background on the character and the ways in which biblical themes are portrayed through said character's interactions with the Losties, the Others and the Island. He then asks questions about how those themes and characteristics might be a part of the reader's life. This helps to draw non-Losties into the story and into a new understanding of the world.

I found myself really enjoying the book because I was able to see how I could fit into a larger narrative. The pointed questions about themes and issues found in the series allowed me to reflect on my own actions. I spent some time evaluating relationships, leadership, learning and faith as I dialogued with Seay and the characters in LOST.

I would recommend this book for people who are Losties and those who are interested in the relationship between pop culture and faith. This review is part of the Book Review Bloggers program with Thomas Nelson Publishers.

No comments: