Monday, May 25, 2009

Simplicity...

I have several friends who have recently been talking about simplicity and decluttering on their blogs. As I have pondered their thoughts and discoveries about these two ideas, I have decided that I am WAY to busy, WAY to involved and WAY to complicated. My life is running me instead of the other way around.

I have decided to simplify my life. Granted, I'm not sure exactly what it will look like. I don't know what all it will involve. But, I do know that my actions are directly linked to simplicity or chaos. I want to make huge changes quickly, but that is not as feasible as I'd like. So, I will commit to do several smaller things each month, adding to the previous month's activities (I know, a strange word when speaking of simplifying!).

To start, I will commit to doing the following things through the month of June (since it's almost the end of May).

1. Eat at home or take my meals with me unless the meal is provided by someone else. (With the exception of 1 meal a week--I eat with a great group of ladies every Wednesday for lunch....the fellowship is worth the meal out!)

2. I will recycle what I can because in doing so I will be more conscious of what I buy and what I get.

3. I declare June "No-Buy Month" except for one grocery trip and the meals previously mentioned.

These things will help me to be a better manager of my resources and time. Let the simplicity begin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your plan of action. Katie and I came to this same conclusion after she took part in the covenant group on simplicity last semester. We started by going through our closets and giving away excess clothing. It was a start but we have a long way to go.....a really long way. Good luck.

Lory said...

Jeff, I have failed at this MISERABLY! I went to my parents' house and have been running like crazy since then...I hope to have some time to reevaluate this week and post an update. Thanks for reading.