Tuesday, May 5, 2009

"Jesus Camp"

Ok, so I watched "Jesus Camp" yesterday and while I found it to be extremely scary, I also found some positive things that might be good for us to consider. Here's the summary: An evangelical, fundamentalist children's pastor holds a camp in North Dakota for kids from what appears to be age 6-12. So, typical kid camp ages. They do all the camp things, sing, sermons, crafts, etc. but they also talk about topics such as government corruption, abortion and other hot button issues in the USA. The worship times are very emotionally driven and the kids tend to be really "in to" it. This camp is of a Pentecostal/Holiness tradition, I believe, so there is some speaking in tongues and a large emphasis on the Holy Spirit. (Please note: I'm not saying anything one way or the other on that, just giving the back ground.) So, here are my pros and cons from what I saw.

CONS:

*They deal with subjects that I do not believe children can comprehend and make informed decisions about (for themselves) based on the developmental levels. An eight year old cannot grasp enough about the political system to promote specific people for supreme court justices. Also, six year olds cannot grasp all that the abortion issue covers. Yet, the leaders had the kids chanting "Righteous judges! Righteous judges!" and eight year olds were calling down curses upon the USA for the abortion epidemic. I'm fine with the stances they took here, but I'm not sure a kid can really understand what they are saying or calling on the government to do.

*Some of the language used in the sermons were not on a level where most kids could understand. At one point the pastor told them that she had a vision that some of them were not living the same way at church and school. She then used words like "stop being a hypocrite." Again, not a problem in theory, but not sure the kids can understand.

*All of the language and concept issues I've pointed out are a problem for me because of the age of the children. It is indoctrination at it's finest. They point out that other religions are doing the same thing. True, but I think it is necessary to allow people (children) included to understand what they are supporting and saying instead of just blind adherence to what others around them are saying. It seems very militant in the approach.

*Also, I find the emotional aspect troubling. It seems like the adults were wanting lots of emotions and tears, which broke the kids down and helped with the indoctrination. Kids should not become a well of tears and sniffles every time they hear some leader speak. Yet, this is what happened at this camp. The kids were emotionally and spiritually spent most of the time, but the leaders pushed harder and harder while telling them that they were responsible, even as kids to change the world. In the midst of the emotion, they were told to accept a burden that I believe it too big for them to bear at six or eight or ten.

*A final con: The adults and students interviewed in the film made very clear that they were opposed to separation of church and state. While the US may have been founded upon some beliefs consistent with Judeo-Christian beliefs, as a Baptist Christian, I cannot support a merger of the two. I believe that every has the right to their beliefs. I may not agree with them, but I will not tell them the MUST believe like I do. (Which does nto mean I am against evangelism....I'm not) I believe that people have the freedom and intellect to decide for themselves. As such, I believe that a merger of church and state would mean that any religion or belief would have to be protected. I don't want to have to listen to a prayer to another diety over the PA system anymore than someone of a different faith wants to hear me pray to YHWH over the same system. The group at Jesus Camp wanted a complete Christian take over of government so that Christian beliefs could be made the norm for society. I disagree.


PROS:
*They do begin teaching their children very early about their faith. They expect their kids to know what is taught and to live by it. We might do well in our home and churches to do the same thing.

*They do take their faith very seriously and see it as the most foundational part of life. Most of us tend to see it an one aspect of life, not much more important than any other part.

*They do promote evangelism. We often brush it aside becaue it is hard work.

*They are very, very pasionate about what they believe . They make no excuese for their openness about thier faith. We might do well to have a little more passion in our faith lives.


Summary:
While I did find the majority of Jesus Camp to be deeply disturbing and scary, we must also realize that they offer some pictures of things that we all should be doing. I don't agree with their methods. I don't always agree with the message they proclaim. I don't think their approach is the best. However, they do believe strongly in their practice. They do believe strongly in their faith. For that, I cannot fault them.

May the words above be a true reflection of my heart and a fair representation of what I saw and observed.


No comments: